Monday, March 26, 2012

Weekend Update

The weekend was pretty uneventful, which I'm glad for.  I got a new bra!  It's a DD!  (OMG).  We had kind of a crazy awful week, though, so a chillaxed weekend was definitely welcome.

Last week in a nutshell:  C's motorcycle was in danger of being repossessed by some guys who watch too much "Lizard Lick" and "Operation Repo" on TV.  He and I had a miscommunication about when his payment was due (March 6th, for the record) and didn't make it.  Since he's so close to paying it off, his finance company (that I will name because they are the devil and deserve to be recognized as such) HSBC is playing hardball.  They would make tons more money by taking the bike back and refinancing it to someone else than they would by letting C finish his payments so it seems to us that that's exactly what they were trying to do.

Long story short, things worked out, people stepped up, karma came around, and between us and our respective bosses, C and I pooled enough money and worked out enough OT schedules to pay the damn thing off.  $3013 out of pocket, 1 fully owned motorcycle in the garage.  BAM.  Straight up, fuck you HSBC!

Then again, that was a LOT LOT LOT of money (to us).  So this means that we didn't get the bed we were shopping for a couple of weeks ago, and we're on a tight budget for the next 3 months. No new bed means I'm still not sleeping well and everything wakes me up (like C talking on the phone at the other end of the house in his quiet voice!!). THEN Kawika decided to cut 4 new teeth over the weekend so nobody really got much sleep.  But that was pretty much the worst part of it all.  Highlights: Went to Target, got blackout curtains and a cool rod for K's room, and blackout curtains for our room.  Next will be the spare room, which will eventually be baby #2's room, but I'm having a hard time committing to a color scheme at this point so that will likely wait the longest.  I still have to get that room organized... and that's a SCARY prospect.

We moved in to this house in August, and that room became our "I don't know where to stick this so I'll just put it in here for now" room.  And now it's like, full of stuff like that.  Oops.  Office supplies, holiday decorations, linens that won't fit in the teeny hall closet, photo albums, my purse habit... We don't have enough storage elsewhere for everything that's in there.  I'd like to donate or toss a lot of it, but about half of that stuff is Chris's and he's a complete pack rat.  It's impossible to get him to part with things.  He needs his THINGS. 

He worked at Nautilus for 3 or 4 years and in that time accumulated nearly 50 Nautilus t-shirts which he refuses to get rid of; even the ones that are only fit for rags at this point.  "I need those for rags!" he says while I'm shoving them into garbage bags.  "Fine! Take them out to the garage then!"  I reply, tossing the bag at him.  Flash forward 3 months to the same, unopened bag of ratty t-shirts sitting on the garage floor, unused.  At this point, I consider it fair game and toss it in the trash.  He'll never even know.  He has two more bags just like it.

Now, I have a large Rubbermaid tote full of purses.  Only 1 is designer and I didn't even love it that much when it was in season, though I did get lots of compliments on it.  But I have a really hard time parting with them.   I could probably whittle my stash down to... well, let's see.  The purple leather with silver studs, I need, and the big soft khaki Roxy one for casual beachy days, and the hand-tooled leather one my mom made in high school, can't get rid of that... I need 1 small one, so... the little black one? Maybe? Oh, then there's the red patent one, but it's looking kind of tired... numerous tote bags that are too small for groceries but not cute enough to be handbags, the red suede with the white "fur" trim can go, and the two small sequined/crazy patterned ones I could let go of... the Dooney I'm keeping out of sheer greed.  Maybe I'll carry that this summer.  It's not old enough to be vintage yet, but it's old enough that pulling it out now might be considered cute, like reminiscent.  What do I know?  I don't follow that kind of shit.

OK clearly I have a lot of work to do in that spare room and it's pretty intimidating so maybe I'll just pretend I have enough money to buy organizational furniture and play around on the IKEA website for a while.  Yeah, that sounds good.

No comments:

Post a Comment