Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Labor Day - no labor

Well, I didn't go into labor over Labor Day weekend (hooray! and boo! simultaneously).  We did get some quality family time while camping at the coast though.  For the last few years, we've gone to the same campground for Labor Day weekend.  It was Chris's uncle's tradition, really, but it seems he's passed the torch, as he didn't come this year.  Chris and I reserved (and paid for) two camp sites way back in January, which is when you have to reserve them for Labor Day if you actually want a spot.  We expected a few aunts and uncles or cousins to come with, but nobody seemed to be in the camping mood this year, except for us.  Luckily we were able to get a refund for the second site when we checked in.

The sites that we reserved were OK.  Well, one was OK, one was awesome.  We'd never camped at those specific sites before and we seemed to strike gold, since the one that we chose (out of the two we could pick from) was totally awesome. Last year's site sucked, and the year before was just OK, so Chris and I decided that V-9 would be our new spot from here on out.  It's in a great location within the park, decently sized, and you can't really see your neighbors. 


Sorry for the poor quality; it's a share of a share! Speaking of neighbors, though, we actually had some nice ones this year.  The group across from us (the only ones we could see consistently) caught a LOT of crab, more than they could eat, and they brought us a plate on our second night there.  I attribute that to the fact that Kawika was very charming.  Every time one of them would walk over the little hump between their site and the road to use the water faucet, he'd call out "Hi!" like they were long-lost friends.

 
Snuggling the belly

My budding photographer

Chris took a few good ones, too, that I should steal from him.  There's one of the three of us that's just hilarious; none of us is doing the same thing or looking in the same direction.  It's one of those crazy ones that just happen to work because you snapped it right when you did, not a second before or after.  Oh well, here are a few more that I took.





We got good use out of our hiking backpack-style baby carrier.  We took walks to the beach, me waddling along, Chris packing Kawika on his back.  Days were warm and sunny.  Nights were chilly but somehow the three of us fit on our queen-sized air mattress (and Wonton too!) and we were plenty cozy.  Kawika likes camping, as near as I can tell.  He seemed to have fun running around the site and getting into stuff, anyway.  I'm already looking forward to next year, when we'll have TWO little boys.  Oh my goodness, I'm going to have TWO KIDS.

I'd better pack my hospital bag; I still haven't gotten around to that!  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment