Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Day Care Drama

The day care drama continues.

We had a screwy week last week what with the long weekend.  Kawika didn't go to my mom's on Monday, but he went to day care on Tuesday, and by Wednesday night he had green snot dripping out of his nose.  Mom was going out of town for the weekend and couldn't watch him Friday, so I shuffled his day care schedule, moving his usual Thursday to Friday.  He was still sick Friday morning though, so instead of returning him to the center to spread the funk to others, we kept him home.  When yesterday rolled around and we went to the center, he wasn't having any of it.  I couldn't even set him down to sign him in at the front desk; he immediately started to cry.  Poor sweet boy!

After talking to the director, it was determined that he'd likely adjust faster if his days at the center were back to back; since he's really too young to understand the Tues-Thurs pattern, it just seems like he's doing something different every day and it's probably pretty unsettling.  I know my mom needs her Thursdays, so instead of shuffling, I just added in Wednesdays for the next few weeks.  Now he will attend 3 days per week, in a row, and go to my mom's on Mondays and Fridays.  I really, really hope this is better for him and he has an easier time.  I hate picking him up at the end of the day and seeing his tear-stained face.  I just envision him crying all day long when nobody's holding him, which I know they can't do all the time. 

Part of it is his age; he's aware of mom and dad and grandma, and knows that "all the other people" are NOT mom, dad, and grandma, and that's just unacceptable (to him).  Part of it is the constant switching in his schedule.  I'm hoping the consistency of being at the center 3 days in a row will help.  I could tell my mom was disappointed when I told her last night that she wouldn't be watching Kawika today, but I think it's probably better for both of them.  I know she's tired and watching him tires her out faster.  I know he needs to adjust to the day care environment.

Still crossing my fingers for something awesome to happen later this year, like... I don't know.  Powerball?  I suppose in order to WIN the lottery you should PLAY the lottery, but a girl can dream.

Dream BIG

No comments:

Post a Comment