Thursday, October 6, 2011

"Plus Size"

Halloween is right around the corner!  I love this holiday, but I'm feeling kind of melancholy about it this year.  I think this is because I'm having a heck of a time finding a costume.  As a size 16, I find myself in that dreaded PLUS size category.  The costumes are made for "bigger" girls, but they're still as skimpy as the ones for those size 4's out there.  Also, there are fewer options.  I had my heart set on the red "Um" dress from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.  I found it at a costume shop online and was SO excited... Alas, the largest they run is a 14, which in costume land probably fits closer to a 12.  So I kept looking.  I've found a few other acceptable choices, but I'm not excited about any of them.  I wish I was excited about my costume, but I haven't found anything that great (in my size) and it seems like even the so-so choices are too expensive.  Why drop $50 on something I'm ambivalent about?

In happier costume news, I picked out what Kawika will wear trick-or-treating.  He won't really understand it all, but that's OK.  We're going in a group with our cousins and their kids so it'll be fun regardless.  I get to show off my cutie-pie and daddy gets candy.  LOL.

Because I'm excessively practical, I couldn't bring myself to spend $40 on something he will wear exactly once, no matter how cute (darn you, tiger costume!) so I bought this:

So snuggly!
 It has little ears on the hood to make him look like a teddy bear, and it will keep him warm when we're out strolling the neighborhood.  I think I'll put a little waterproof black eyeliner on the tip of his nose to make it more "bear-like" on Halloween.  It only cost me about $25 at Old Navy, AND he can wear it when we go watch his cousin Anthony (13) play football on the weekends.  It gets cold in those bleachers, and I won't be bringing K to sit around outside unless he's super-bundled!

Meanwhile, I'm down to 2 choices of my own.  I'll be wearing whatever it is at work (and I could wear something much skimpier if I chose; our work atmosphere is... very relaxed) and also at my SIL's annual Halloween Party.  I put it in caps because it's kind of a big deal.  Everyone gets really into it, and you're expected to show up in costume & in character.  I'm leaning toward Gretchen, but my short hair might work better with the flapper. *shrug*  Short and curly would be cute on either, though, don't you think?

Gretchen
Flapper


























No comments:

Post a Comment