Friday, August 10, 2012

Cleaning Out

Gosh, I need some kind of reminder to come update more regularly.  Not that you care.  Not that you're reading this or anything.  See, I've made up a fake audience in my head; people who read my blog and get upset when I don't update regularly enough. 

"Shame on you," they say accusingly.  "Why start a blog if you don't intend to keep it up to date?"  My bad.  Truth in fact; I'd like to keep it more updated just for ME.  I don't journal anymore and as a result I find that I'm missing large gaps of time in my mind.  I've always had a poor memory, and writing helps me relive my past, even if I temporarily forget it.  Letting all one of you share in the memory-recording is just a bonus. 

Speaking of journals, Chris and I got on a nesting kick last weekend and reorganized the 3rd bedroom.  The one that was going to be a nursery but was doubling as storage/Kawika's play room.  We decided not to turn it into a nursery just yet.  Frankly, we need the storage/office/play space away from the living and family rooms, and Little Dude is going to be in our room for the first few months anyway, so... why not just keep it as-is?  With a healthy dose of reorganization, of course.  Well, we finally went in and just did the damn thing.  Moved the book shelf in, put the books on the shelf and out of the closet, consolidated all of the holiday decorations and gift wrap supplies in a clear tub, stored some of the bigger baby things in the attic that Kawika has outgrown and Little Dude won't need right away, ... We did a lot.  We also went through the last few boxes of "office" type stuff we'd had in the closet, sorting everything into keep/shred/recycle piles, and separating the keepsakes from the important papers we need to keep on hand.

During this process, I came across my old journals and photo albums.  I spent a few minutes reminiscing, then packed them away safely in an airtight tub that will go in the attic. I enjoy reading my old journals (usually, when they're not unbearably vapid) but it felt good to stick them away somewhere knowing they wouldn't be bothered for a while.  It also felt really good to get that closet organized!

I'm still trying to find a solution for Little Dude's clothes, now that he won't have his own room.  I suppose I could still use the closet for his clothes, I just need to get a lot more baby hangers.  A lot.

Making room for the new and getting rid of the old, reorganizing the important and letting go of the insignificant.  It feels good!  Perhaps my nesting fit has manifested in more than one area of my life, since I find myself wanting to go in a new direction professionally, as well as with home closet organization.  Maybe I'm just so frustrated with the aspects I cannot control that I feel the need to change my surroundings so that they're easier to manage.  Whatever the case may be, the thought of the possibilities in front me is thrilling.  I hope to update you all with some very good news in the coming months, but if you could just keep me in your thoughts, I'd appreciate it.  A little good karma goes a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment