Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Labor day weekend

I had a great time over Labor Day weekend.  Chris and I took Kawika camping at the coast.  It was nice to get out of town, and even better since the sweaty heat of the city was more tolerable at the beach.  We had a comfy, sunny couple of days.  Kawika seemed to enjoy himself, though honestly, he's so laid back about everything it's hard to tell sometimes.  :)

While packing the day before, I decided he'd need a couple of hats for shade and also the chilly evenings.  I found this pom pom hat in his drawer that I'd forgotten about and stuck it on his dome to see if it fit...
Aaah!! Too cute!!
And I loved it, so I had to take a picture.  What a good sport  :)

We had a good camp site; not too much shade, not too much sun (just enough to burn me when I spent 20 minutes outside without sunblock) and our camp "neighbors" weren't horrible. 

You never know, at a camp site like that, if your neighbors will be jerks.  We went to the same campground last year (Chris's uncle reserves a group of sites every year for Labor Day weekend) and our neighbors that year were awful.  They were Mexican (nothing wrong with that!!) but they played that traditional Mexican music (Mariachi? It sounds kind of like circus music) at TOP volume into the small hours of the night.  Ugh!  Regardless of the type of music, you don't play it at max volume until 4 AM; that's just rude.

Anyway, it was very nice this year.  No crazy camp neighbors, and I think ours was the most annoying dog there (dang Chihuahua needs to learn to shut up!).  We had a good time relaxing with Chris's cousin Jamie and her family, uncle D and his friends Dave and Teresa, and my SIL's family.  

Hopefully he'll tan better than me
We took Kawika down on the beach for his first time.  I had him in the Bjorn and we walked down, looked at the water, splashed our toes in the surf... I really wanted to get a picture of K's foot prints in the wet sand so I took off his socks and got his little toes down in there... had just about got the Blackberry lined up for a good shot when our cousin's dog ran over to see what we were looking at and walked right over the prints.  Dang it!  Then Kawika started grumping (probably due to the chilly sand on his little piggies) and I wasn't going to subject him to more of the same, so we headed back to camp.

Nom nom nom... what beach?
All in all it was a great weekend!  I can't wait to take him next year when he'll actually be able to enjoy it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment